Just getting started by impacting 100 million lives and counting, Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty. It is a bold new global initiative that is about dignity, not dependence and choice, not charity.
Acumen was incorporated on April 1, 2001, with seed capital from the Rockefeller Foundation, Cisco Systems Foundation and three individual philanthropists. Its desire is to transform the world of philanthropy by looking at all human beings not as distant strangers, but, as members of a single global community where everyone has an enthralling opportunity to build a life of dignity. Its dedicated team works across its five global offices in Accra, Karachi, Mumbai, Nairobi and New York.
Acumen leaders possess a combination of financial expertise, operational expertise and moral imagination. Their investment model is based on the following steps:
- Receiving charitable donations.
- Making Debt or Equity Investments.
- Scale Game-Changing Companies creating social impact.
- Recycle returns to make new investments.
Their patient capital approach marries the best of philanthropies with the best of markets. They are taking the very best ideas, distilled from more than a decade of investing in companies and leaders, and synthesizing and sharing them globally, so others can accelerate their impact. Some of their current global endeavors include:
- Economic Impact of Solar Lighting
- Innovations in Impact Measurement
- Social Enterprises and Global Corporations collaborating for growth with impact.
- Developing repeatable models to scale the adoption of agricultural innovations
- Firing up dreams via Avani Bio energy
- JS Bank and Acumen launching Pakistan Fellows Program
- Sproxil Case study saving lives with technology.
With the help of Acumen USA (Recognized Impact Investment Organization and co-investee alongside Pharmagen Limited), PHL started off water business in 2007 with aim of providing clean and affordable water to its consumers in marginalized communities. Since then, it is striving to provide clean and healthy drinking water to its consumers in Lahore.